In that case, you'll need to take steps to rescue your meal. Yuckkk. I couldn't deal with the taste and smell. This search takes into account your taste preferences. Smell matters too. And if you get my drift, acetaldehyde in concentration smells a lot like acetone. “Dehydration can leave your mouth dry and can alter your sense of taste,” Dr. Tully says. It's been less than 2 days since it was made (from scratch). Skip. Fortunately the soup improves with long cooking also and standing overnight. Just tonight I added some golden balsamic vinegar to a dish heavy in pineapple juice to keep it from being too cloying. When paired thoughtfully in a gastrique or agrodolce -- the French and Italian sweet and sour reduction sauces -- vinegar and sugar create a combination that seems like one taste sensation; the line between sweet and sour blurs. Chili heat plays well with acidity, as evidenced by hot-and-sour soup, so adding hot sauce, cayenne or chili powder -- if appropriate -- is another potential strategy. bag of Fresh Frozen Vegetables. The taste is sour: Watermelon has a fresh, juicy, sweet taste, so when it turns sour, it’s pretty easy to tell the difference between good and bad. That's not as intimidating as it sounds, because the "chemical" you'd use is nothing more than baking soda. If your soup becomes too sweet for your taste, try adding a little salt to tame down the sweetness or 1 teaspoon of apple cider or white vinegar. Should I have precooked the onions. That was like 20$ worth of vegetables. I found my veggies for the soup at Walmart, also. This is sometimes desired in the production of sour beers such as Lambic. I don't think I'd risk eating it.It sounds as though the bacon must have been rancid. In some cases, that sour taste could come from something as simple as not drinking enough water. Boil in a hot water bath for SEVEN hours. Typically, the Kombucha ferment will have about 30% more gluconic acid than acetic acid. You can use any cooking acid. We did this all the time when we would get a large batch of fish, instead of freezing all of it. What on earth could have gone wrong. You can take the concept of the gastrique and agrodolce and use it … My soup tastes like vinegar, smells like spew! You don’t even need to worry about thawing the veggies before throwing them in the soup. Well, I threw it out. it wasnt out of the fridge at all. It hits that sweet spot of being not so unappetizing that you wouldn't even try it, but being just unappetizing enough that the mental shock of how good it tastes compared to how it looks is enough to send an endorphin jolt running through your system. See below for more soup tips. ANSWER: Bacteria naturally present in grapes can turn either the sugars in grape juice or the alcohol in wine into acetic acid, giving it a vinegar taste (and eventually producing a wine vinegar). A Web Experience brought to you by LEAFtv. The five known human “tastes” are sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami. Why does my watermelon taste like vinegar? Often, when a dish is missing a little something, vinegar is the fix–and it does not take much. 538,584 suggested recipes. My solution is not to use the vinegar this year. definitely. The smell is a result of the final steps of the synthesis process, and while vinegar is a smell often associated with heroin, it doesn't always have a strong smell of vinegar. I would guess that you don't have a strong enough meat/stock base. It's almost put me off that lovely old word 'soup'. In all my years of cooking, I can guarantee you that any vegetables that smell or taste like vinegar, unless you specifically added vinegar into them, is not a good sign. This makes a wonderful "salmon" tasting canned fish. Many chefs suggest the use of water to lighten the soup first, in order to make the consistency very light. You can add some vinegar at the beginning of cooking and still taste it the next night in the leftovers. Vinegar tastes, primarily, sour. There are several varieties available and they would all work well in this soup.